Quiz for the rugby enthusiast
This Gravesend quiz has featured in the Rugby Roundup newsletter and six nations round-up over since published on our website
On the 26th January 1871 the RFU was founded in London with 21 clubs. So to commemorate this date, here are XV questions to get your rugby brains going...
1) One club has had their players capped by England 122 times, more than any other club. Who is this club?
2) in 1890/91 a try was worth 1 point, a conversion was worth 2 points but how many points was a drop goal worth?
A. 3 points for drop goal
3) Who said on retiring, "I thought I would have a quiet pint followed by 17 noisy ones"?
A. Gareth Chilcott
4) Erika Roe famously got on the pitch 2/1/82 in England's 15-11 victory over who?
5) Who was the South African ref in the 2003 world cup final?
A. Andre Watson
6) Derys Douglas Dobson born in 1880 with 6 eventual caps was the first international to do what?
A. First to be sent off
7) Will Carling called the RFU committee "__ old f" on a C4 documentary called 'Fair Game' in 1995. How many?
A. 57 old f..ts
8) What happened for the first time v Wales 21/1/22?
A. First time that both teams wore numbers in an international
9) Born on 6/1/56 in Ely with 21 caps and 4 tries making his debut 19/1/80. Who is he?
A. Clive Woodward
10) There has been an England match every day of the week. The most of course being on a Saturday. Which day of the week has seen the fewest England matches?
11) J Wilkinson scored 113 points in the 2003 World Cup. Who was England's 2nd highest point scorer with 30 points?
A. Paul Grayson with 30pts but no tries all kicks
12) Which 2 players both scored 5 tries each in the 2003 World Cup for England?
A. Will Greenwood and Josh Lewsey
13) Dudley Wood said, "The relationship between the ________ and the English is based on trust and understanding. They don't trust us and we don't understand them" Who was he talking about?
14) Only 2 England players scored tries in the 2003 World Cup knock out stages. Jason Robinson in the final but who in the quarter final?
A. Will Greenwood
15) England first wore sponsors (Cellnet) on their shirts 23/11/96 but against who?
A. v Italy
...and one extra for the locals:
Gravesend has appeared in the Kent Cup final 4 times, winning 3 (1990, 2010, 2011) and losing once (2009). Who were the Gs opposition each time?
A.1990 v Park House, 2010 v Old Elthamians, 2011 v Tonbridge Juddians, the loss being against Blackheath in 2009
All the questions with the exception of the last were taken from the book “Official England Rugby Miscellany by Stuart Farmer and published by Vision Sports Publishing 2007 edition, isbn978-1-905326-26-6
Updated 09:53 - 10 Feb 2014 by Mike CUBITT